In the market for a new printer or copier? Leasing one might be a smart move.
Rather than purchasing the device outright, leasing allows a company to enjoy advanced technology at a reduced cost. That’s great news for companies with a limited budget or a dynamic office environment where printing demands might change.
However, that’s not all that leasing offers. Here’s a closer look at the benefits of leasing an office copier to help identify whether or not it’s the best route forward for your company.
Four Big Benefits of Office Copier Leasing
Companies upgrading or setting up their offices have many options when it comes to acquiring the technology they need to operate. Choosing to lease an office copier has several significant advantages that may prove attractive to an organization depending on its circumstances. Companies of every size lease office equipment to take advantage of benefits such as:
1. Lower Overall Costs
A printer or copier represents a significant investment for any company. Not only do the prices of these devices frequently range into the thousands of dollars, but ownership comes with its own responsibilities. From the acquisition cost to maintenance and supplies, owning a printer or copier can put significant burdens on a company.
In contrast, leasing an office copier alleviates many of these costs. Depending on the provider, it’s possible to find leasing options that:
- Involve no acquisition cost: Many technology providers don’t require a major down payment that might exist even if a device is financed. This benefit alone makes leasing attractive to many companies.
- Include maintenance: Since the technology provider still owns the device, some will provide maintenance services for a small – or even no – fee. Consider this when shopping around for a lease.
- May come with managed services: Managed print services take over some or all of the printer’s management, including supply replenishment. Many technology providers offer managed print services independently or with their leasing options.
- Make upgrading easy: Once owned, it may be difficult to sell or offload a printer once it no longer suits a company’s needs. In contrast, a leased device may be returned or exchanged for a different one.
2. Better Budgeting Capabilities
The print environment constitutes one of the most challenging elements of a business to track. It’s also frequently associated with the highest costs. The IDC once estimated that most companies spend up to 3 percent of their annual revenue on printing – but they may not realize it.
Leasing an office copier or other critical office equipment can prevent this and make it easier to control the budget. With leased equipment, an office can:
- Enjoy fixed monthly rates: Whether simply paying for a printer and metered supplies or leveraging managed print services, all costs will remain known and presented in a single monthly bill.
- Embrace more efficient devices: Technology providers that lease printers and copiers will have insight into what devices will most adequately address an office’s needs.
3. Tax Incentives and Advantages
In the US, the Internal Revenue Service allows businesses to deduct certain qualified expenses from yearly income taxes. However, many business owners believe that only purchases qualify for those deductions. That isn’t always true.
In some instances, companies may deduct payments made on leased equipment. That’s because tax codes like Section 179 are specifically designed to encourage small businesses to invest in themselves. Before settling on a particular route for printer or copier acquisition, check with the company’s tax preparer to see if leasing provides the same tax incentives as purchasing does.
4. Access to Better Technology
Many companies adopt a “buy it for life” approach to their printers and copiers because of the hefty price tags accompanying these devices. However, that can hamstring an office in the long run if the organization outgrows its printers. Having the wrong printer may prove just as inconvenient as not having one at all.
However, access to the right technology is not all leasing accomplishes. A company may also:
- Acquire more powerful technology at a reduced cost: Free of steep acquisition costs, a company may be able to lease a device that’s more powerful than one they can afford if purchased outright.
- Access more versatile devices: A leasing provider may steer a company towards a compact, efficient multifunction printer, which bundles copying, faxing, scanning, and printing into one machine.
- Upgrade easily: Leasing is ideal for companies with dynamic print environments. When the lease is up, simply exchange the device for a more appropriate one.
Lease the Right Office Copier With CDS
Copier leasing is one popular option that businesses consider when they set out to acquire a new device for the office. When chosen with care, it can allow an office to embrace more powerful technology at a fraction of the cost of purchasing while keeping all expenses known.
Whether purchasing or leasing, check with a reputable technology provider first. Their expert guidance can help uncover which route is best for a particular office and recommend solutions the company might not have considered.
CDS empowers companies with the right office technology. Contact us now to get started.